Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-817 ND Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-817 ND

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817 ND.

K1PMA  Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 19:16  Send this review to a friend!
All band wonderbox.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always thought QRP was for the birds. More power is better, right? But I recently decided I wanted a radio that would work off any kind of power, included plain old AA batteries. Looked at the Elecraft KX3 but with all the 'extras' that are really necessary the price was just way too high. So I got the FT817ND from HRO Virginia. Free ship, no tax.

First I tried the radio with the included battery pack (1400mAh) but that's very limiting. Got 2300mAh AA rechargable batteries from Amazon and they work way better (about twice as long). Plus they charge much faster with a proper external charger. Back to the radio. When hooked up to my base station G5RV antenna I have made SSB QSO using 5W to WA, and 1W (both ways) to central Florida! Pretty darn amazing. But wait, there's more...2M and 440! Can hit most repeaters in the Raleigh area on the 2.5W setting and guys are always surprised how good I sound when they hear how much power I am on. All in all, this is a great rig, and comes with just about everything you need. For a bug-out type of situation there really is nothing in it's league.