Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7410

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

N2MVV  Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 07:31  Send this review to a friend!
Love this radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I finally decided to upgrade my HF radio after owning my Icom IC-718 since 2004. The Icom IC-718 is now used as a back-up and to work portable in the field with a battery.

I was looking at the Kenwood TS-590s, however, after reading many of the reviews, there seems to be an issue with not having the full 100 watts of power going out. Many people are happy with their Kenwood TS-590s, but I felt it was not a good choice for me.

I bought the Icom IC-7410 from GigaParts almost a year ago and I am extremely happy. Like anything else, it all depends what radio each individual likes as it applies to what they do in this hobby.

This radio is well built and very attractive with most of the buttons for filters, scope, etc right in front of you. You need to go into the menu to make adjustments for your voice on the treble and bass settings. You also should use the speech compressor and adjust the ALC meter for more punch. I get great audio reports on all of my QSO's. The radio has a large display and a built in tuner (which is only good for SWR 3:1 and below). I resonate my antenna with an antenna analyzer and hardly use the tuner. There is a USB port for PSK-31 and other digital modes. One thing I do not like is the power knob where you can go full clockwise for 100 watts or counter clockwise for less power. I have no idea of my estimated watts going out unless I attach a meter. The Icom IC-718 has a menu where you can select an exact numerical wattage setting. For now, I either run the radio barefoot at 100 watts or dial down an estimated power.

I also like the fact that I can use 6 and 10 meter repeaters with this radio. I have never worked 6 meters before this radio and it is fun when the band is open. Unfortunately, I do not work CW and can not review that for you.

If you are looking for a mid-level radio in the $1500 range, I think you should seriously consider this radio amongst your choices. I am planning to keep this radio for many years.