Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-7800R

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

KE5TJT  Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 10:59  Send this review to a friend!
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now used this radio for 5 years without any issues whatsoever. I find programming it via the front buttons almost impossible so I just use the software which makes it ridiculously easy. As for the people saying this radio doesn't have rated power, I'm thinking they're doing it wrong. The rated wattage is ONLY AT 13.6-13.8V!!! Notice, a car battery at rest is NOT PUTTING OUT THIS MUCH!!! I tested my radio with the engine off and got 30 watts on high. I plugged in a battery charger which boosted the voltage to 13.6 and suddenly I got exactly 50 watts out. I got EXACTLY what was stated at each power level. I'm pretty sure people here are not checking it at rated voltage. You gotta follow ALL THE RULES when checking output voltage. My old antique VHF marine radio did the same thing, 14 watts on high with engine off. Engine on or battery charger plugged in, and I got 30 watts out!