Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | T.M.C. GPR-90 GENERAL COVERAGE Help

Show all reviews of the T.M.C. GPR-90 GENERAL COVERAGE

You can write your own review of the T.M.C. GPR-90 GENERAL COVERAGE.

WA7OPY  Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2014 20:28  Send this review to a friend!
overrated, good looking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this reciever for 20 years but it never worked, I bought it to match the pal 1k and the gpt 750 in the shack. I just got the rig to opperate, But I am not real impressed, I know it is not a R390 or a sp600 but coming from T M C I expected a Little more. The Mil spec parts are not there but thay did use cerramic caps so there were very few bad parts to change out. On my set the 1st I F was not working do to a bad 3.5 mcs xtal. and a very poorly built pentode osc/mixer. It required a compleat allignment that is not hard to do. The bfo is very weak and will be pulled by any signal over s9. The front is easly overloaded, and you have birdys every 3.5 mcs (1st stage mixer osc freq). The i f and r f cans and rf coils are wimpy and suject to movement any bump will make the reciever change freq. The readout is not real good but nether was the sp 600. The tunning is silkly smooth and does have the right speed for easy tunning. It is almost usable on ssb but you have to retune offen. The agc is not as good as many old recievers (the bc 348 is better) I think that T M C was tring to build a cheap reciever that hams could buy in the early 60s and cashed in on there name as a high end military contractor of radio transmitters, As most sets were bought by the military not by hams thay realy blew it. I would rate it as a 300.00 dollar reciever not the 7 to 8 thay bring on @bay. I am glad I fixed it, and it is nice to look at and looks good with the gpt 750...... 73s Phil