Categories | Ham radio kits | Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat Help

Show all reviews of the Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat

You can write your own review of the Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat.

N8KAN  Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 22:46  Send this review to a friend!
Outstanding, indispensable gear.  Time owned: more than 12 months
First Field Day as 15 CW station taught me the value of being dead on frequency. Contacts were hard, as no one seemed to hear me. A more seasoned veteran concluded that everyone was running their filters very tight, and I wasn't familiar with how to spot my DX-70 to my 650 Hz sidetone, nor do my ears do the perfect pitch thing. 650 Hz, 700 Hz, whatever. Not good.
     Found this kit, bought 2 of them in case the first one didn't turn out well. Easy build, instructions denied me any error-making. Haven't yet had to build the second one.
     Never did like Altoids, though fortunately I know enough people who do that I'm well-supplied with the tins. This kit fits perfectly. Careful measuring, marking, drilling and Dremel-cutting, and it is an attractive addition to the station, though it still says Altoids on it. Stealth mode.
     To make installation easier, I super-glued the rectangular LEDs together for easier parallel-bending the leads to fit the board. This produced the only drawback so far, as the illumination tends to bleed across the lamps. I keep planning to disassemble and insert some thin foil between them, but I've adapted to the way it works, so that project is on the back burner.
     This little fella has secured the Field Day contacts for the past five years now, as has thus secured its permanence in my station. Won't leave home without it; won't operate CW at home without it either.
     Solid, predictable, reliable. It's a hoot to watch the lightshow on SSB as well.