Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander Help

Show all reviews of the Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB9-3WARC High Performance WARC tribander.

ZS4TX  Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2014 00:12  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have never really been active on the WARC bands mainly as a result of not having a decent antenna on those bands. When I moved into town a few years ago I decided to install a one-size-fits-all mast and antenna setup so I started my research for the best commercially available option.

With Optibeam antennas in use at the ZS9X station and hearing them perform from the D4B station previously, I was somewhat baised in my decision to select the OB 9-3WARC and OB12-4 my new city lot type installation.

Placing an order at Optibeam is easy and Tom, DF2BO, is always available for support and technical information. Delivery of the Optibeam products was exactly on time as promised and packaged very well.

The OB 9-3WARC antenna is built extremely rugged, especially the 30m elements, and will probably outlast most storms that eats regular yagi antennas for breakfast. SWR curves came out as predicted.

On the air performance did not disappoint either, adding almost 200 WARC band counters within 3 months from installation although I must admit I had very few to start off with! When a rare station comes up I usually work it before the RF amp even warms up so when DXing on the WARC bands now I rarely use more than 100W.

I finished WAS on all three WARC bands within 3 months using the OB 9-3WARC and always received complimentary signal reports even with the antenna mounted only 12m above ground. QRP callers also picked me as easy prey :-)

My QRZ.COM homepage shows the OB9-3 WARC and OB 12-4 combination as installed at my home station. The 5m spacing between the antennas is more than adequate to prevent any noticeable interaction.

Assembly is straigthforward as per manual but if you do not have someone else to build it for you rather use motorised tools to avoid developing "glass" elbows :-)

Excellent product Tom!