Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Show all reviews of the Wouxun KG-UV3D

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

KV4BL  Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2014 16:25  Send this review to a friend!
More Favorable Update On Prior Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous review of the KG-UV3D was rather scathing in nature. After fiddling with it for about a day, I resisted the temptation to wall mount it and sent it back where I purchased it. HRO Atlanta's people were great, and very understanding of my situation.

No matter what, I could not find a video or other source that "clicked" for me with regard to the programming logic for this radio. I confess that I was intrigued with the audio quality for its FM radio feature, which was the closest I got to getting a working frequency into it. As little as it has to do with performance, I also liked the bright green receive light which lets you know there is traffic on the channel you are monitoring, if the radio is on a table in another room. It's color is reminiscent of the green lights on older Motorola base and mobile radios circa 1960's-1970's as opposed to the olive drab lights found on a lot of Icom and Yaesu radios. I wish Icom and Yaesu would adopt this wavelength of green for their receive lights.

As time passed and I talked with people, I decided to give the Wouxun another chance and I ordered another one. In trying to get it programmed, the instructions that finally "clicked" for me was a PDF file on QSL dot net. Google "programming Wouxun KG-UV3D" and look for the PDF file with a QSL dot net URL. I highly recommend that set of instructions as opposed to the lousy Chinglish manuals. The radio is probably deserving of a 5 but gets a 4 because of the manual and related programming issues.

Transmit and receive into local repeaters (including UHF) are excellent. The stock antenna has got to be one of the better ones, if not the best, that I have ever run across in terms of its performance. One quirk I have noticed (not necessarily bad, just a quirk) with my particular unit is that the battery will run practically forever at 3 bars which is the highest battery level on its scale. When it drops to two bars, your battery will die not terribly long thereafter, depending on the amount of use and drain you place on it. Overall battery life is excellent.

The light weight of this radio compared to an FT-60, its abundant receive audio, and battery life easily make it a preferred radio when going out the door for a walk or other activity.

If only Wouxun would adopt the manual on the QSL dot net site, they would probably realize much greater success with this model.