Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Show all reviews of the RigExpert AA-54

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

KC9SWV  Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2014 16:44  Send this review to a friend!
Extremely Helpful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the RigExpert AA-54 as a birthday present to myself. I have used the ubiquitous MFJ-259 meter before, but this is the first analyer I have owned personally.

The display is fairly nice as ham equipment goes (they all tend to be about a generation behind the rest of the electronics world) and a vast improvement over needle-type meters. The update rate of the screen seems perfectly adequate for an SWR meter, as the SWR of an antenna is unlikely to change very quickly.

The memories are nice as you don't have to remember or write down everything while you're tuning or testing an antenna. This was the big thing that sold me on the -54 over the -30, as I don't currently work 6 meters.

The output is +13dBm into 50 Ohms so you can use it as a frequency source as well, but hooking it to our HP/Agilent spectrum analyzer at work through an attenuator showed a good deal of spurious noise, so I wouldn't rely on it as a primary for that role. As a note, the actual frequency source only goes up to 10 or so Mhz, after that it uses harmonics for tuning.

The user interface is a little clunky in that it uses numbered menu items instead of scrolling with the already present arrow keys. Not sure what the thought there was, but at least each digit performs the same function throughout the interface (2 always sets the frequency, 3 always sets the range, etc).

I have yet to try the computer software, but it looks to add a great deal of value as well. I'm also fairly certain that with the PC programs one can do time-domain reflectrometry for making 1/4 and 1/2 wavelength coax stubs and locating coax flaws!

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and hope to one day upgrade to a -170 model so I can make myself some 2m antennas as well. I would recommend this analyzer to anyone looking for a great value!