Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7200

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KC7YRA  Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 14:36  Send this review to a friend!
Surprising radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this unit as a "Field Day, cabin, bored in the woods, need a radio at work" radio.

Once received, the radio was oddly easy to get up and functioning without the manual. I did have to crack the small book open for instructions on accessing the menu system, but that was about it.

Chasing around CW contacts on 40, the radio has an excellent receiver which is quite capable of handling the often crowed conditions found on the bands. Did it handle the rock crushing signals like a mechanically filtered FT-1Billion.2? No, but it was acceptable.

I found the stock filters very capable for general operating. With a WIDE-MEDIUM-NARROW setting, there is a filter arrangement that will fit MOST (not all) situations.

The noise blanking and noise reduction are also quite good. Not much more I can write here. They simply work.

What I really like on this rig is the auto notch filter AND the manual notch. This little critter can really get rid of adjacent frequency squeal.

On the ergonomics side of things, the radio is FAIRLY well laid out. In a dim area, I had to grab a flashlight to see the button labels. Also, the display itself is not overly large. It is quite functional, but does not convey the bevy of information that some of the new super rigs do.

If I had to site a complaint, I could. But I would have to dig deep. The internal speaker is a "mehhh" rating. It is front firing, but due to it's size, it just does not sound that good. Perfectly usable, but headphones really bring this radio to life.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with this rig. For it's price, performance, and rugged design; coupled with the stock filters, I would venture to call this the best rig under $1k.

Along those lines, if you are reading this review, you may be comparing the IC-718 or the 7200. While the 718 is a good radio, for just a couple hundred more dollars, the 7200 is enough of a performance to justify the expense IMO.