Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater Help

Show all reviews of the Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater

You can write your own review of the Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater.

W8EDV  Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 18:13  Send this review to a friend!
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own 8 of the Chinese brands of HT's these include 3 Baofeng's , 2 Wouxuns, 2 Puxing PX UV 973's and 1 FDS 880 . They are good radios in my opinion however I find that I prefer using the Puxing PX UV 973's the most. I've put aftermarket antenna's on all of them, and I have tried them all side by side with the same gain antennas and the Puxing came out on top with a stronger receiver than any of the others in side by side distant repeater test. I did not just test one day, as conditions often change with weather, so I did the test many times in the same location indoors at the kitchen table where I can access many local VHF, and UHF repeaters. The Puxing has a noticeable stronger receiver and it's also quieter. To add to this test I included my Kenwood TH 6A Tri Band HT which is only 6 months old and cost a lot more than any of the others. Sadly the Kenwood did not perform nearly as well as the Puxing, no where near it. In fact I had to move the Kenwood around on the table before it would even hear a few of the distant repeaters. I attribute this to the Kenwood being 12 year old technology on the receiver components,it works well, and I have no use for all the extras inside of it such as the AM, USB, LSB, CW, etc etc, all that is something I never even use, I bought it for VHF, and UHF repeater use only.

Back to the Puxing, I found the cross band feature very useful for me at times because there is a repeater that requires that I stand next to my dining room window and hold the HT up a bit in the air to get into it full quieting, or go outdoors to use it . I solved this by putting a battery eliminator on one Puxing, and placed it in that dining room window, with a small switching power supply, and set it up for one way cross banding so I could be fully legal with station ID . I set it to transmit on the repeaters input, and I use my other Puxing to hear that repeater because I can hear it very well anywhere in the house so I only need to crossband one way and not in full duplex mode which also does not heat up the radio, it works very well for me. So that feature is one I use a lot if I am lazy and don't feel like sitting in the Radio room using the mobile base radios.

The battery on the Puxing was only 1200 Mah, so I purchased an aftermarket 1800 Mah battery and it will run the radio all day long with ease and power to spare. I also like the volume knob although some people think it's to big, but it's easy to use especially one handed. The other plus that many or most Chinese HT's don't have other than Wouxun, is the Encoder knob to change frequency or memory channels, most use UP and DOWN arrows to scroll through the MENU and change the channels, I prefer and encoder knob which Puxing has.

Another nice feature is the dual volume control, I can set each band at whatever audio level I like so when two repeaters are in progress, I can set the volume on each one as I like. This is nice, my Kenwood is the the only other HT I own that has dual volume controls. The Kenwood of course is built much stronger or quality wise than the Chinese HT's and it's noticeable to a degree but for the price difference as most guys have said if the Chinese HT falls and breaks you won't cry over it because you didn't spend $400 on it. So overall I like the entire set of HT's I have, as I said they all work, and they work very well, however my favorite for performance is the Puxing PX UV 973. You don't hear much about the Puxing, all I hear of is the Baofeng's and how great they are, but if you put a Puxing UV 973 next to your Baofeng you'll see what I'm talking about. My Puxing radios were $80 with free shipping, and they have both functioned beautifully for the past 6 months without any problems at all. I think for the money you can't beat them. The Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and Alinco's might be built a little stronger, quality wise, but quality construction isn't getting me into that distant repeater, and I've only put $80 into the Puxing it doesnt break the bank.

I'm hoping they can introduce a tri band HT' with 220 mhz on it such as the Kenwood has , that would awesome , since I use 2 meter, 220, and 440 repeaters locally here. Im using a Wouxun dual band with 220/2 meters, and a Baofeng UV 82X with 2 meter/220 dual band and they work well but would be great with all 3 bands on them. I guess thats why I use the Kenwood when I'm out an about rather than tote 2 HT's with me.

So from me the Puxing gets 5 stars, it's a great performer, easy on battery, easy to program even from the keyboard, a well lit keyboard as well at night, easy to see, fits the hand very well, and comfortable to use, the audio is amazingly strong and clear. I couldn't ask for a better performer for $80 . Try one if you have the chance, you wont regret it. I don't go along with the negative reviews, they must have a bad unit, or they don't know how to use them and program them.

73's to all from W8EDV