Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2300H Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-2300H

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2300H.

W5DOM  Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 16:23  Send this review to a friend!
Solid 2m mobile for the mountains  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An IC-2300H is installed in my Jeep Cherokee Sport and it is teamed up with a Larsen 5/8 wave whip with a run of RG-58. I live and operate this radio in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. This transceiver receives excellent audio reports in rugged mountainous terrain. The furthest A+ report I've received via simplex thus far was from an operator using a stock Yaesu FT-60 at 15+ miles and it was not line-of-sight (multiple mountains). Reception from that station was barely audible and not comprehensible. Hey, what can be expected from a rubber duck handheld at that distance in rugged mountains? That individual later let me know that my transmission from the IC-2300H was received and copied Lima Charlie (loud and clear).

This unit has had no issues reaching the local repeaters at 20+ miles.

Something I noticed was that the included mic (HM-133) sounds a bit tinny and does not capture the mid and lower tones of the user's voice. It is entirely functional but I replaced it with the simpler and less expensive ICOM HM-154 and the middle register is relayed much better during transmission. In short, the less expensive HM-154 was an upgrade compared to the pricier included HM-133 mic.

I have not experienced any heat issues with this unit. The unit does heat up at higher wattage as one might expect but nothing I would consider unusual.

This transceiver sports a tuning knob that is of good size and grip. I've found it useful when I as the driver am focused on the trail and my passenger needs to change frequencies (radio mounted on passenger side of center console). No midget tuning knob to mess with like on some mobiles. I have found all the knobs smooth in operation with the tuning knob also exhibiting a nice bump between frequencies/memories which is helpful on bumpy trails.

Easy access to NOAA weather broadcast (and WX alert) for those times when you find yourself all alone miles from civilization with a storm inbound.

Pros:
1. Excellent performance at distance
2. Excellent performance in rugged mountainous terrain
3. Easy to learn controls on the radio unit itself (beats my Yaesu 8800)
4. Well built, solid and sturdy
5. Very good audio reports with the HM-154 mic
6. Large tuning knob
7. Large and easy to read display

Cons:
1. Included HM-133 mic only adequate, tinny and outperformed by the less expensive and simpler HM-154 (why not just package the HM-154 with the radio and drop the sale price another $30 to reflect the change in equipment?)

Bottom line:
I would buy this transceiver again for use as loaner equipment or as a mobile/fixed 2m station with the HM-154 mic. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.