Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Help

Show all reviews of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3

You can write your own review of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3.

WA7U  Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 12:05  Send this review to a friend!
Testing results of heat sink addition to my KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first test with the stock KX3 at 10 watts output without any additional heat sink cut back the output power to 5 watts at 4 minutes and 55 seconds (nearly 5 minutes).
I installed your heat sink Fred and after letting everything cool to ambient temps again I went key down at 10 watts output again. I got 9 minutes and 20 seconds at full 10 watts output before the KX3 cut output power to 5 watts. This is nearly double the time to power cut back with the stock KX3.
I did try the thermal pad Fred wanted me to test and it added about 1 minute (10 minutes 15 seconds) before power cut back to 5 watts. I'm not really sure the pad is
worth the effort. If they can be precut, holes punched, and applied in your shop it might be worth it but it was pretty time consuming for me to apply it for the overall gain.

Your heat sink really does help with extending operating times and is very nicely done.