Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | GAP Titan Help

Show all reviews of the GAP Titan

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

KJ7MX  Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2014 05:19  Send this review to a friend!
A bit touchy but works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for two years in Washington State. The only two downfalls I've experienced are that yes, it is susceptible to coupling, and for some reason the swr at my location varies with the humidity (goes up in the winter when it's raining). I haven't put much effort into the swr/humidity issue, but I have a feeling it's probably moisture in the coax connectors.

I have it mounted 3' off the ground, too close to the house (about 15' away, and about 30' to my south I have an 80' high tree line. Even with those factors it seems to perform pretty well. I can usually work through pile-ups with a little patience including some of the big ones like the recent VK9MT dxpedition. I run 500 watts out through my S-Line and a 30L-1.

SWR, when conditions are dry, runs under 1.5:1 on most all bands. When I bought the antenna at Dayton in 2012, Chris told me that though they don't advertise it, it will also load on 2 meters. So yeah, of course I had to try it and sure enough it loads up! Sometimes I'll connect my IC-7000 & sit & listen in on the local repeaters when I'm doing other things in the shack. I can key up local repeaters with it, but have no idea how it compares to other antennas designed for vhf.

I've heard others say this is a noisy antenna, but then from my experience that's kind of typical for any vertical. I'm thinking about a hex beam as an alternate.

Overall I'm pleased with the Titan. It can be quirky when getting the swr dialed in, and yes, as others have mentioned, the manual is difficult to follow. I had a few "do overs" putting it together but total time spent was about 4 hours.