Categories | QRP Accessories | Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Help

Show all reviews of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3

You can write your own review of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3.

NA1DX  Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 14:04  Send this review to a friend!
Oh So Cool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my “Cooler KX by VE7FMN” heatsink from Fred VE7FMN (fsmeier@telus.net) yesterday.

This morning over morning coffee before work, I installed the heatsink. I removed the KX3 top plate and replaced it with the heatsink. Perfect fit and very easy to do. It had a nice finish, too.

JT65-HF MODE BEFORE HEATSINK INSTALLATION

I have been operating JT65-HF with the KX3 the last few weeks. Prior to installation, running JT65-HF at 10w the KX3 would give me a high temp warning and throttle back to 5w about 75-80% of the way through the transmission. The TX last 45 seconds +/- usually. So, just 30 sec or so, the KX3 would throttle back. In fact, most times going over 6+ watts would result in a high-temp warning and the TX would throttle back. Using Mom’s old standard of checking the forehead of the child to see if the child was running a temperature, the KX3 was very warm to hot to touch during this operation.

JT65-HF MODE AFTER HEATSINK INSTALLATION

This morning after installing the heatsink, the KX3 stayed at 10w during the full transmission of JT65-HF contacts and never gave me a high temperature warning. In addition, the little one did not feel like it was even warm to touch. I operated JT65-HF on 40m at 10w in the normal operating mode of TX/RX for close to an hour with no issues.

Thanks Fred! I can use the KX3 to drive my Heathkit SB-200 to 100+w using just 10w input if I want.