Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom ID-5100A Help

Show all reviews of the Icom ID-5100A

You can write your own review of the Icom ID-5100A.

N3ORX  Rating: 3/5 May 24, 2014 20:03  Send this review to a friend!
Technically a mile ahead  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Technologically, this radio is a solid 5. The reasons for the 3 rating are as follows:
No mounting brackets included, especially for the control head;
Mic plugs in to the body, not the controller, therefore in mobile use the need to buy/make an extension;
Fan noise in the body is excessive (after all the complaints to Icom about this on other units, you would think they would get the idea and fix it); and lastly, you cannot import your programming from an ID-51 into an ID-5100, or vice versa.....sure would be nice to have both radios have the same programming without having to do a lot of data entry.

I picked this radio up at Dayton last weekend. I am a fairly experienced D-Star user, but was blown away by how easy it was to set this up, yet how sophisticated it is. Especially like the DR button....makes for a whole new way of using repeaters while traveling.

Audio reports say it sounds great, and the receive audio is very good, although once I put it in the truck I will use a remote speaker.
Screen is nice and big, which makes it easy on these old eyes. The touch screen makes programming, finding repeaters, setting options, etc., a breeze...once you figure out what to do after you figure out what Icom's Manual means for real.
Overall, a great and fun radio, and I think I am going to really enjoy it. I'll get back in three months and see if I am still so happy with it.