Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+ (Version 2) Help

Show all reviews of the Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+ (Version 2)

You can write your own review of the Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+ (Version 2).

G4PNF  Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 05:54  Send this review to a friend!
Very good indeed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a return review after having used the SDR-4+ for a few weeks now. It is my first experience of an SDR but the Cross Country SDR-4+ is just great. I have it hooked up to an active loop receive only antenna (Wellbrook) and use it to view large parts of the bands as a kind of "pan adapter". I am mainly a CW op and since it is "bomb proof" as far as RF overload is concerned I also use it to spot activity and then transmit on the same frequency using a 100 watt transceiver. The supplied/recommended HDSDR software is very easy to use and gives CAT control but I am particularly pleased with the performance it gives when coupled with CW-Skimmer. There is no CAT control but it is easy to just enter the L/O frequency and then you get around 45KHz of the band available on CW Skimmer. I have it tied up to the Reverse Beacon Network via Aggregator and the performance is terrific. It compares very favourably with my HF rigs in the shack for sensitivity/selectivity and you can see a screen capture of it in action during a CW contest (with Skimmer)on my QRZ.com page.
I did have a few teething problems with the SDR-4+
which were easily resolved and mostly related to poor USB lead connections.
I highly recommend this RX to anyone wanting to explore SDR's and it is also a very inexpensive and effective way of achieving broad band access to CW-Skimmer.