Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-1200 Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FTdx-1200

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-1200.

WA9D  Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 13:50  Send this review to a friend!
Amazing for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just 1 week so far, more later if any reason to change. Had FT-950, damaged by nearby lightning stroke. Loved the 950, wanted something similar, 1200 seemed like the way to go both because it would be somewhat familiar and because of online comments and other eham reviews. Ordered from HRO (got their usual wonderful service!). Also ordered FFT board. Powered it up, immediate QSO with Brazil (on 20M, 1/4 wave vertical). Played around with it, realizing I need to learn more to get the most out of it. Then installed FFT board. Love that also.
One thing that is not obvious: The AF spectral display with the FFT really helps tuning RTTY or other digital modes. With RTTY selected this display indicates where the mark and space frequencies should be so you just tune until the actual frequencies slide over onto those markers. I had not been too sure that the FFT would be all that useful if I would really work these modes using the Tigertronics I already had, but it does really help.
I had thought I would want a continous scope display of what's on the band near me. But the auto setting gets a new sweep when you make much of a tuning change, so it is almost always up to date without your asking for a new sweep manually.
The ability to set the second antenna port as receive only is something I wished I had on the 950: I had designed little boxes that would switch antennas automatically using the T/R info from a back-panel connector, but never got around to building one.
I have lots of QRM on 80 and 40 (never played much with 160) and the DSP in the 1200 does a fine job, much better than the 950 did. I think it will get even better as I become more fluent with the controls.
I love the display. It gives lots of information: So far I find myself looking around "I know that is here somewhere" for some things, but they are actually in logical places and I just need to get used to the new box. I like the several controls that are now accessible directly rather than having to hit the menus: A nice compromise, I think, between versatility and a finite front panel.
From the moment I turned it on, I loved it!
Bob Wilson, WA9D