Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC 7100

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

N2UBP  Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2014 04:29  Send this review to a friend!
Great for portable use, more difficult for mobile operation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Last week I took my 7100 on a short vacation trip. As a portable base in our rented cottage the physical format of the radio worked in my favor, allowing me to place the radio in a corner adjacent to where the coax entered the building and the control head in area easily accessible to the operator. Mobile operation would have been impossible. There was no place to put the radio or control head in a modern 4 door sedan containing 3 passengers and our cocker spaniel along with the baggage carried for a one week trip. If I took a bit more time I probably could have found a temp location for the radio, however the control head would not have found a reasonable location. I suspect other mobile hams have similar issues with mobile operations. ICOM could probably make some decent profit on offering an optional control head designed for mobile use that would be an easier fit for today's vehicles. they might even be able to modify the IC-7000 head to do the job, who knows. The 7100 did perform well from my portable QTH on Cape Cod, allowing me to join in with my rag chew group. - 73, Steve, N2UBP