Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC 7100

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

K9CRT  Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 09:28  Send this review to a friend!
Brilliant Design   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unlike some reviews here I wanted to own the 7100 at first glance. However I was more than a little skeptic about how good of HF radio it could be and how much RF might get into the radio and the transmit audio running legal limit and 450 ohm feeders coming all the way into my shack to the rear of my Palstar AT4K tuner. With the 2 piece design and the 12 ft cord tying them together it looked like a good source of trouble with r.f.

After HRO & others offered the IC7100 for under $1300 plus my renewed interest in the D-Star mode I had to finally try it.
1- my fear of stray R.F. Into the audio was unfounded. Running a full legal limit Alpha 8410 produced no stray R.F.
2- It is a good HF rig and I am comparing it to both a FTDX 5000D & Omni VII. It is even better IMO than my 746 Pro.
3- Reports I am getting say my transmit audio is very good using a SM6 Icom desk mic. In addition the stock mic is ok also.
4- Receive audio on all modes is super. Complaints about D-Star audio are unfounded. (D-star is digital and never will sound like FM but funny thing once you get a steady diet of D-star analog FM starts sounding weird)
5- D-Star In the 7100 is 3rd gen and a huge improvement in the regard of ease of programming and use. Having said that it is still troubling especially if the D-Star repeater you are using is not already programmed into the 7100 's data base.
6- cw is sweet with not only a built in keyer, but it is a memory keyer as well.
7- If you have ran a 756pro radio many of the features are the same in hf like multi meters on one screen like PO,Comp,S-meter,ALC, SWR, plus the 7100 screen included not only these but temp and dc amps giving you 7 meters at a glance. This radio just keeps surprising me at every turn.
8- I love the new touch screen and the head is extremely stable sitting on your desk top. It won't move and or tip and is a pleasure to use and easy to view and read.

In conclusion if you are interested in the 7100 go to YouTube where there are many video,s including a 45 minute one on Ham Nation comparing it to the Icom IC7000. After owning the radio for just a week+ now it seems like a winner! you get a great dc-daylight radio + D-Star for the same $ as many radios with less features and versatility. I hope my review will answer a few questions others might have with the concerns I addressed here. This is the real deal in a new brilliant design and package, don't let the size scare you away it performs beside my FTDX5000 surprising well.