Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-930S Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-930S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-930S.

W3AFC  Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2014 09:03  Send this review to a friend!
Follow-Up to my Previous Review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow-up to my previous review in which I said that the Phoenix Contact Quint switching PS "gave" a little compared to the OEM PS.

It appears that the "give" is actually the ALC kicking in. This happens when I'm pushing the rig on a band where my wire antenna has a SWR of 2:1 or higher. If I persist, the dial lights flicker, although the Ops on the other end of the QSO say they don't notice anything unusual - just great, strong audio. Two other HAMS who did they same conversion noticed this effect also. One of those HAMS tore apart a working 930S just to try my conversion, which made me a bit nervous. But his rig works great, and he loves the end result also.

My contacts all say the rig has a clean, loud signal, and two different peak-reading wattmeters show up to 120-watts PEP output. The rig gets through pileups with ease. One DXpedition said that while others were louder, my clean, clear audio was what he noticed so I got the nod on that round. Since I performed the PS conversion, my digital board acted up so I pulled it and performed each step in the Kenwood service bulletin and now the radio sings again.That took less than an hour.

I wrote a 14-page "white paper" with photos and schematics, outlining how to do the Phoenix PS conversion for any 930S, including the later models with the "split voltage" AVR boards. Anyone who wants a free copy can send a note to my QRZ W3AFC email address, and I'll send a return email with it attached as a PDF.