Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH9800 Help

Show all reviews of the TYT TH9800

You can write your own review of the TYT TH9800.

M5ABP  Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 05:16  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent value for money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these radios a few weeks back for less than 200. It is essentially a clone of the Yaesu FT-8900 covering 10/6/2/70 but represents a substantial saving on the Yaesu RRP.

The TH-9800 comes complete with the full separation kit for the detachable fascia and although I also received a programming lead, I found it easy enough to programme all my local repeaters without it.

I'm not too sure what issue the previous reviewer had with the squelch as the menu setting referred to relates to the rf squelch which I tend to turn off and then use the rotary noise squelch on the front panel but both seemed to work fine in any case. As you would expect there are separate rotary squelch encoders for each vfo.

In use I have found the radio intuitive to use and all reports on my audio have been favourable. The only minor issue that I have come across is that when scanning on one vfo but listening to a signal on the other then you get a fluttery effect on the audio but I guess this is to be expected when the radio uses a single antenna socket and duplexer for both vfo's.

In practice this has not proven to be a major issue and given all the positives I am very happy with my purchase.