Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models) Help

Show all reviews of the HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models)

You can write your own review of the HyEndFed Antenna (multiple models).

AE5HL  Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2014 12:31  Send this review to a friend!
Great antenna, particularly for a subdivision...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With some trepidation, spent the cash and ordered the 40/20/15/10 antenna (200 watts). I currently have it in a more or less "v" configuration. The "v" only about 20 feet up and the ends drop down to about 5-6 feet.

As expected, you will likely need a tuner with this antenna if you use it in any configuration other that what it was tested with (40? feet off the ground, horizontal).

The hardware is of durable and weatherproof construction, stainless steel for the fasteners, etc. Seems well built and will likely last many years. The wire is approximately 67 feet long and around 16 gauge. One interesting note, this antenna uses an L-C network to match the 4 bands and provide a reasonable feed point impedance for the transceiver.

15 and 10 have been more or less dead where I am located, thus, this review will be limited to 40 and 20. The installation is suboptimal on 40 meters but it works well, I am able to make the type of contacts one would expect with a traditional dipole on 40 meters, worked Mexico City, Pacific Northwest, East coast, etc. (regional) and there is DX to be had but pile ups are not my forte...

On 20 it shines, excellent signal reports with 100 watts (I've only operated QRP prior to this) are excellent and regional to long distance QSO's are handled without a hitch.

The caveat here is I am not by any means an expert nor is my installation ideal. The matchbox is supposed to provide a 50ohm match to coax and in an optimal installation, I have no doubt this would be the case but for most of us some sort of tuner is really desired. This does not detract from operation and I'm not using a long length of coax (20') so the wire is doing the radiating, or at least most of it, anyways.

I would give a 4.5 if it were possible, only because I thought the antenna was somewhat expensive but you get what you pay for so I may just be nitpicking here.

The best aspect of this antenna is the ease of installation at a location where some stealth is necessary and the fact that it works!