Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.

K4DSN  Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 04:32  Send this review to a friend!
A great radio selling for a bargain price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold a K3 and bought a used Ft-1000mp mkv and have not regretted it. I much prefer the ergonomics and the receive audio of the Yaesu. I use the DSP noise reduction a lot more on this radio because itís easier to get to and find the right settings quickly. The IF settings is different than most radios and makes more sense to me. The receive and transmit DSP work well but are not as configurable as the K3 was but the limited selection is still pretty good. With the receive DSP turned off there is a bit of hiss in the audio but itís not enough to cover up any signal. With the DSP turned on the hiss disappears. I heard that the inrad roofing filter will get rid of it but it doesnít bother me enough.

I have all of the option filters except for the 500 cw filter. They work very well but I did miss the 1.8k filter I had in the K3. During field day, I was trying to receive a weak signal but had a hard time due to neighboring signals, the DSP shift helped but I think the K3/1.8k filter setup would have done better. That being said, there was something about the K3 audio that I despised. No matter how I set it up it always sounded processed and hard to listen to. I donít get that with the ft-1000mp even with the DSP turned on so I tend to have it on more.

No radio is perfect and this one is no exception. I had to fix the well documented noise blanker problem. Iím locked into the crystal filter selection because of the DSP integration, I would prefer 1.8k filters instead of the 2k. Also, selecting the filters is not as good as the standard ft-1000mp. I have never found a use for the VRF feature, would have preferred if they used that spot to control the contour and APF and give me back the standard FT-1000MP filter selector. There is no 6m band but I never use it anyway. The antenna tuner is sometimes slow to tune, it only acts up on certain bands with certain antennas. Most of the time it works fine but it has to be monitored. There was no IF output for a pan adapter so I added a Clifford labs buffer board to the 70.455 MHz IF and now have a dirt cheap 2.5 MHz bandwidth view using a $10 RTL-SDR dongle. I highly recommend that mod as it made this radio come alive for me, itís easy to find signals in seconds.

All in all I am very pleased with this radio. I use it a lot more than my prior K3 primarily due to the more natural audio. The ergonomics are great, I rarely have to go into the menu settings, everything is just right there. I think these radios are a bargain right now, I canít think of another radio I would like to have that doesnít cost at least 3 times as much and I'm certain that any performance improvement would not justify the cost.