Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner Help

Show all reviews of the LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner.

MM0HRL  Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2017 07:36  Send this review to a friend!
Solid Performer!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My example of this elderly model of matcher was obtained "used" via my local dealer (Jaycee in Glenrothes, Scotland - now sadly defunct!) and in initially it seemed to me to be less automatic than I'd imagined one would be - but now I've used it for some time I have to say that first impression was pretty wide of the mark - and I'll be very disappointed indeed when or if this little device should fail from sheer old age! Although it was a used item, I can't determine that it looked any more perfect when it was new. So either its first owner was very fastidious or else LDG's standard of finish is extremely high. To be fair I think it's maybe a bit of both.

Mine is not upgraded - yet. Just emailed LDG on the offchance they still have the upgrades in stock on some dusty shelf at back of the storeroom!

My experience of using it is - like many others, with an FT-817nd. I'd wrongly assumed its power handling capacity was in the 5-10 watts range so it was an excellent surprise to see it's able to handle 60w SSB. Not that I'd push it quite that hard, but I also have an FT857d for mobile/portable HF work and finding I can run this same matcher with a bit more power than the 817 is very welcome news. I do have a couple of excellent little manual matchers, but the easiness/quickness of the auto matching is seductive!

Now it's so old I wonder if anyone will be reading this review but even so I feel it's fair to report that this is a good product, built to a high standard to my eyes. Solid switches, solid casing, decent looking board inside that looks like it's been assembled with some care. (not a comment I feel universally able to make with other kit in my posession)

If and when this unit dies I'd be tempted to get whatever LDG is making as a model replacement - I've seen the one with sloping sides, very distinctive appearance - and pictured very widely so I guess it's also been a success. And deservedly so, if the duty mine's done for me is a measure of how the modern one performs.

So far it's been used with a Hyendfed 4 band long wire (for 17m tuning only) - a half size G5RV at home, and a full size G5RV I've used for portable work hoisted up on three 40ft masts. And apart from an odd foible with 40m on the home antenna where I have to nudge it to a low SWR with the front panel switches - it works just fine every time.

If pressed for a point of crit, I suppose I could gripe that being tied to an external source of power's a bit of a pest - but hardly a pest worth calling such.

There's not been a whole lot of ham tackle I have that's pleased me quite as much as this little device - and if you wonder why four stars instead of five, well - five stars is a fairly rare score from me; four stars is praise indeed as far as I'm concerned!