Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHA P-LOOP 2.0 (Chameleon Antenna) Help

Show all reviews of the CHA P-LOOP 2.0 (Chameleon Antenna)

You can write your own review of the CHA P-LOOP 2.0 (Chameleon Antenna).

OH8STN  Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 02:18  Send this review to a friend!
Fine balance of performance, portability, & modularity  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hello Operators.
I received the Chameleon P-LOOP 2.0 some months ago for evaluation and review. There was no expectation of "the good review". Like all my reviews, they're honest straightforward and meant to help makers improve their products in the two main areas important to me, ruggedness and portability.

I also own the original Chameleon P-LOOP, F-LOOP+, and several Homebrew magnetic loop antennas. So I'm no stranger to magloops. The first thing one notices When comparing against the original P-LOOP is the breakdown size. The loop now comes apart in 3 pieces, the main loop, pickup loop, and telescopuc mast support. This was the single most important update for me, since I could now fit the system into an even smaller backpack. The awkward size and shape of the original P-LOOP (for packing), made it kind of up bummer to pack with other gear, but that problem is solved.

My P-LOOP 2.0 came with two main loops, and two pick up loops. The smaller pick up and main loop set are tuned for 40-10m. The second set is called a booster kit, which includes a larger tuned main and pick up loop for 40-15m. Since I don't work 12 or 10 meters, I regularly operate the P LOOP 2.0 using this booster kit, which gives improved performance on 40 through 15 M at the expense of 12 and 10.
On the original P LOOP version, only the main loop was changed in the booster kit, leaving the pickup loop as it was. A simultaneous WSPR comparison on 30 & 40M showed the booster kit at an advantage over the 40-10m kit. So I use the booster kit religiously.

The P-LOOP 2.0 also included a Power Compensator, allowing the loop to be used at far greater power levels then the base model. If I remember correctly it was 60 watts SSB. I almost entirely work qrp, but I can see the advantage of having increased output power capabilities for a lightweight man portable magnetic loop like this.

I would have to say I'm a magnetic loop fanatic. I would also say I'm a field communications fanatic. I don't want to be bothered wasting my time putting up wire antennas, so long as the system performs well for me. The Chameleon P LOOP 2.0 has been my primary antenna for field communications, for the past 2 months. I also have other antennas in the toolbox, which I would choose if my operating criteria were different, but the P-LOOP 2.0 is my everyday, lightweight, man portable system, I'm extremely happy.

So if I had to say anything bad about the P LOOP 2.0, it would be the tripod. The tripod is magnificent if you're using it on a hard surface on a calm day. It also works very well indoors. The problem with the tripod is the base of the tripod has two small diameter for the size of the antenna. To get past this you can either use a different tripod, or do what I do and mount a mesh bag at the lowest point of the tripod, then add rocks or a water bottle or something like that to prevent the tripod from falling over in the wind. I don't want chameleon to change that tripod, since it has the smallest folded size of any of the tripods they've delivered so far. So I'm willing to live with having to weigh it down in the field.

As usual I've done lots of research, comparisons, and videos before posting my eham review. A simple search of Google or YouTube with callsign and the name of this product, and you'll find all the good and all the bad.
de oh8stn