Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Proset Help

Show all reviews of the Heil Proset

You can write your own review of the Heil Proset.

KE2TR  Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2017 11:28  Send this review to a friend!
Headphones Great, HC6 a 3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am re reviewing from my first review of the ProSet6. The newer headphones are a step above the original ProSet which I still have, much better audio response which seems to be tailored for voice communications. The phase reversal thing doesn't really bring much to the table but what ever you are doing the headphones work fantastic at either on SSB,CW or AM.
Now for the not so good stuff, the HC6 mic element is nowhere close to the old HC5 wide range element, its said to have a flat response but IMO its flat in the middle, almost hollow sounding and no were near the voice articulation of the HC5 had. It need some work so after a month of conversing with Bob by e mails I desired to mod the acoustics surrounding the HC6 element in which I placed a small amount of tape over the holes in the front of it which seems to cut down any noise pick up around you and give the mic a more unidirectional pattern plus it improves the mid-range as well but its still not an HC5. I may call Heil and see if they still have an HC5 element somewhere in there back stock room cause trying to make these boom sets for a wider market range for resale was a huge mistake, ask any of the DXers on 20 meters and they will tell ya they like the older boom sets above what is sold today. I also use a Heil PR781 which has a fuller sound but I also did a tape trick on the sides of the internal mounting of the element which vastly improved the mid range. Sorry I am not one of those who spend $500 on a RE27 to use an SSB but if I was using an old plate modulated AM transmitter in which you can have a 10K plus response the that is a different story.
Overall great headphones but mic needs help and I hope my last review gets removed it was a little harsh.