Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG UV8D Help

Show all reviews of the Wouxun KG UV8D

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG UV8D.

ZL4BKD  Rating: 2/5 Sep 12, 2017 22:10  Send this review to a friend!
2.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
One phrase sums it up: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably won't measure up to your expectation.

The KG-uv8d promises a lot, and Wouxun's attempt to squeeze so many features into a hand held have come up short, in the long term anyway.

I have owned 5 of these for about three years, and used most of them on a weekly basis. While they all worked OK, with reasonably good power output, and with a decent antenna would punch out on simplex over 20km on vhf. From from the get-go features began playing up. From new one would restart itself two or three times in the first 5 minutes of operation, then would be fine for the rest of the day. Two of my more recently purchased 8D's had the backlight feature killed when I wire cloned them from my original 8D. Nothing would fix that. Not a factory reset, not a computer.
Two of them have dropped an entire bank of memory, so instead of the screen showing both banks of channels, one would show stored channel data while the other would only show up "Wuoxun kg-uv8d". A fresh clone bought them back once, then a few months later they were gone for good.
But the worst issue is that after several years, the tx finals went out....one by one, on all of them. Initially the vhf went so you could only transmit from, say one room to another, but uhf was fine for a few km, then uhf too died. Bottom line: I now own 5 scanners;) , not that their scanning rate is anything to write home about!!

In contrast, my two KG-UV6D's appear so much more reliable.

And to add even more contrast, my two 21 year old Kenwood TH 22AT's and my 20 year old Icom V82's still work as designed the day I purchased them:)