Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | NEC CQ-301 Help

Show all reviews of the NEC CQ-301

You can write your own review of the NEC CQ-301.

ZS6DJD  Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2017 16:30  Send this review to a friend!
good linear 800w to 1300w out depending on valve condition  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi guys I this bought this linear to get something that would give me 1kw out as we have just recently been allowed to use 1kw in South Africa. After the finacial crash wich hit the whole world in 2008 prices went crazy in South Africa. A good new 1kw linear can cost as much as 60 thousand or more in South Africa money. So I bought this old linear from a fellow amateur for 15 thousand he also had a 2kw alphin linear for 75 thousand to much for me.

So now I have had this linear and used it for about 10 months. It is big and heavy difficult to carry around. Not for mobile use for sure, but apart from that it is a very good linear gives you 800w up to 1300w out depending on the condition of the valves with 100w of drive. Uses 2 3-500 tubes My valves in this linear have seen a bit of use so I am getting 800w out on all bands 20 to 10 including warc bands. So those who say it cannot do warc bands are dead wrong.

With this linear on 20m I have been 59 59+ from South Africa into Europe on most nights 2017 using only a TGM 2 element mini beam 18m of the ground. So present poor band conditions don't seem to be a factor for me. I believe the keenwood TL 922 linear maybe a copy of this linear but a bit smaller. But I think it works a bit better than 922 and is a better linear than the 922, but I have never used a 922. It is built like a tank with very high quility workmanship.

The best part about this linear is that you can drive it with more than 100 watts so if something goes wrong your radio won't damage this linear. All that will happen is that is will give you more power out. Who knows you might get more than 1300w out. I believe one can drive this linear with up 300w with out any damage. Also It comes out in a brown colour makes a nice change from black or silver.

So all round a good linear. If you find one in good condition and you want a brown thing instead of silver or black with 800w to 1300w out and the price is right don't hesitate buy it.