Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-1000MP

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP.

KB3BF  Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2017 07:41  Send this review to a friend!
Still an excellent HF Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used at about half of the original price and have used this rig for a decade now. I loaded it with the INRAD filters. I you plan to get just one extra filter, get the INRAD 70 Mhz roofing filter for improved dynamic range. I still have not used all of its features. My prefered HF rigs are the MP, the Kachina 505 and the ICOM 706. Each one for different uses and applications.
I prefer the lighter 100W MP version over the Mark because I can run the MP on a 12V battery, while the Mark requires 30 V. Not worth the extra 1/2 S units in Tx. If I want power, I can use a KW amplifier, and 100W is more than enough to drive most amps.
If you cant run the the rig on 12 or 24 V, it may not be that useful for emergency comms. In any ham station, the antenna is the main element, then comes power considerations, and then the rig.
Without the antenna and a dependable access to a power power source, well you get the idea....My preferred antennas are KT34A, and STEPPIR vertical.
Going back to the MP qualities, i like the fact it has excellent dynamic range, and with the second receiver, you can do all kind of neat tricks like band spotting, QSY, etc. all while hearing each radio on headphones. There is a neat "stereo" effect when tuning both RXs to the same frequency. It has a unique sound on CW. I am planning on using the excellent MP receiver qualities for EME projects since it offers two separate Rx channels useful for dual polarization listening. The only thing it is missing is an external clock option for ultra high stability. But this can be addressed by PLL locking its internal clock, not easy thing to do, but doable.
While my MP never failed, I hope Yaesu keeps supplying replacement parts for it.
The MP has been a good investment for me.