Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA Help

Show all reviews of the G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA

You can write your own review of the G7FEK 80-40M SMALL GARDEN ANTENNA.

K7MWJ  Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2017 09:59  Send this review to a friend!
Nice Surprise!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I became a ham in January 2015, and got my general ticket in June that year. I wanted something that I could get on the HF bands without spending a lot of money and put up in my small-ish back yard at the time. I looked around for weeks. I bought an end-fed feed point and got a 123’ wire strung around the yard. It worked pretty well, but felt it could be better receiving, since listening was all I was doing at that time. I did try to xmit on 10m on the "yellow" Tech frequencies and on 6m, but no hits.

When I was taking my General exam, I overheard a couple of the VECs talking about this antenna and how they’d like to try it that summer. These two gentlemen were seasoned veterans and I figured if they were interested, it may have merit. I asked for the antenna name and went home to research with my newly-earned license. At one point I even contacted Mike (G7FEK) with questions. He got back to me right away with good, straight answers. He even wanted me to write him back so he would know how it worked out if put one up.

I found some old military 4’ fiberglass poles and glued 6 of them together. Made the antenna as per Mike’s instructions. I guyed the top of the “mast” I made, which I had attached to my corner fence post. I ran one end of the antenna up the mast on a pulley while the other end was attached with rope to my 2m mast on the chimney of my two-story house. That end was at about 25’ where the mast end was right at 24’. I had about 6’ of rope at each end. Ran the ladder line down to where I could attach the two ends of the ladder line on one side and the radial runs on the other. Attached my coax, and made an ugly balun with 9 wraps around a 6” PVC pipe then headed the coax into the house. ran two long radials, with one attached at the end to my chain link fence fabric.

I was pretty amazed at the performance. The antenna tuned up well on everything but 20m, which I’m sure was a construction shortfall. I hit NZ and AUS on a couple different digital modes and Japan, eastern Canada and Russia on phone from my QTH on Oregon. I even did a JT65 QSO with The Azores! I was even able to make contacts on 30m and 60m!

I have since moved and don’t have a wire up yet (at least at the time of writing of this review) to get on 80 through 30. I have a larger yard very tall trees in each of the back corners of the property. I could put up just about anything I want, but am thinking of doing this antenna again since it was a superb performer.