Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | QYT KT-8900D Help

Show all reviews of the QYT KT-8900D

You can write your own review of the QYT KT-8900D.

VE3TSK  Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2017 11:15  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the radio from Amazon.ca for $112.96. It was an impulse buy on a Friday that was delivered on following Sunday. First I installed the software that came with it. The manual, as you probably heard elsewhere is typical Chinlish. I was able to learn enough to program one memory channel before I fired up the OEM software. It is NOT user friendly, but not impossible. I programmed 20 local repeaters and disconnedted.

I set it up in my car using a comet dualband magnet mount that I used with my HTs. With a SO239 to BNC adapter I hooked it up and tried it out. My first report said the audio was good and I have been receiving excellent reports whenever I key up.

The quad watch is a neat gimmick and it does work but you do have to be quick to note which channel is being received. Most of the time I leave it off.

It is small. So small that I keep it the console between the front seats and attach it to the satellite radio cup holder mount on my console.

What started as an impulse experimental buy has turned into quite a nice radio and is a pleasure to use. I wish there was head set made for it but I will have to craft one for myself. The only question is whether I craft for use from the front or the back speaker port.