Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array Help

Show all reviews of the Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array.

N6RW  Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2017 18:27  Send this review to a friend!
Amazing RX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think I just discovered the down side of putting up a SAL-30 - now I can hear better than I can transmit. I used to hear comments on the ON4KST.com Low-Band Chat group, about how loud my signal was on 160 meters in Europe from here in Arizona, but I often could not hear them at all. I did manage to work a lot of the DX I could hear with the Inverted L, but missed a lot of opportunities. Now, with the SAL-30, I am calling distant DX that I hear Q5 and they can't hear me, so now, I need to figure out how to get louder with the Inverted L TX antenna.

I live in an area near Prescott AZ, where there is no man-made noise on 160 meters. I can hear DX on 160 meters with the SAL-30 that doesn't exist on the Inverted L. On 80m, using my SteppIR DB-36 dipole, the SAL normally receives a few dB better. On 60m using FT-8, the SAL is about 5 to 6 dB better than the DB-36 dipole.

Another benefit of the SAL-30 is having fun listening to AM Broadcast stations. I love to tune down to the frequencies where stations share frequencies. By "rotating"the antenna on many frequencies, I can hear two to three different stations - one at a time.