Categories | Microphones | YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Help

Show all reviews of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control

You can write your own review of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control.

K4TK  Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2017 09:14  Send this review to a friend!
did a blind test vs. Heil PR781  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, several fellow Hams talked me into buying a Heil PR781 mic recently. After buying that mic, and putting both the Heil and the Yaesu MD-100 I had owned a few years on boom setups (also with an MFJ mic/rig switch box for making quick comparisons).....I decided to do some extensive on air testing. I had a friend on 40 meters....who was copying me with an S9+20 signal....use his SDR setup to make critical comparisons between the two mics....as well as to give me critical feedback on my mic eq settings. At one point, while testing....I was doing "blind" tests...just telling him "this is mic A and this is mic B"....so he wouldn't know which mic was which. BOTTOM LINE, he thought the MD-100 was the Heil PR781.....because IT SOUNDED BETTER TO HIM. I listened to the audio (he sent me files), and darned if the MD-100 didn't sound every bit as good....if not better...than the Heil PR 781 (with both using the exact same mic eq settings).

I'm not surprised though. Both mics are in a similar cost range. The Yaesu mic was built for their radios....so why shouldn't it sound good! Oh, does anyone know....DOES YAESU ACTUALLY BUILD THEIR OWN MICS? I ask, because I found out Bob Heil actually designed the mic eq circuitry for the FT DX 1200 I'm running. IS IT POSSIBLE...that maybe someone else makes Yaesu's mics for them...as in, COULD BOB HEIL be making Yaesu mics for Yaesu?

MD-100....every bit as good as my Heil PR 781!