Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | SteppIR CrankIR Portable Antenna System Help

Show all reviews of the SteppIR CrankIR Portable Antenna System

You can write your own review of the SteppIR CrankIR Portable Antenna System.

AH6FC  Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2017 12:42  Send this review to a friend!
Works well, with some limitations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna a year or so ago to use during some back and forth trips to KH6. Had an old 4BTV in KH6 but wanted something that might be more flexible. Still have visions of schlepping it up Mauna Kea one day.

In spite of lots of adjusting, fussing with radials, etc could not get it to work. Couldn't even tune it with antenna tuner. Was ready to sell it...figuring it was my ineptitude with antenna work...at least lately. Recently we moved back permanently to KH6 and I was in need of something until a better radiator could be found. This time I used an antenna analyzer....not sure how I made it 40 years as a ham withou t one...duh. Anyhow, tuned just fine on 20 meters. Couldn't do much good on other bands, but attribute that to radial length....have 20 meter radials on the antenna. Suspect if I adjusted these, it would resonate on other bands. Even set on 20 meters I can use my internal antenna tuner to use the antenna on 40 - 15 with decent SWR. Been working primarly CW, horrible noise level (commercial area), but still have worked about 16 new entities.

Bottom line....it is a wire vertical. Works with patience and adjustments of the length AND radial adjustments. Very portable and certainly better than a Buddy Pole or other shortened antennas (have used those too).

If you are highly technically competent you'll likely have an easier experience.

I'm an owner of a BigIR....this is a fabulous antenna and has reasonable stealth potential if you have trees to hide in :)

Aloha,