Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | FlexRadio FLEX-1500 Help

Show all reviews of the FlexRadio FLEX-1500

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-1500.

WB0FDJ  Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2018 12:13  Send this review to a friend!
Still a great QRP rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the rig 6 years now and have no regrets. I'm still finding things I can do with the receiver, which is, along the the 3000, the best I own. On digi its fantastic, I use it to WSPR and some PSK, flawlessly. Very good SSB if you want. I've never had a glitch that resulted in having to reset, ever. (My Flex 3000 has needed this a very few times) The reason for this follow up post is to share what I've done to reduce latency as much as possible. If you are thinking of buying one of these used, the info might be helpful.

I have an old Acer desktop that runs an Athlon II quad core 645 chip, not the latest thing. Just used a free trial of AVG PC tune up to eliminate all but the most essential backround programs. This has resulted in CPU usage of 5-10%, often less than 5%

I plug the radio's USB into the front port of the computer which is shared with nothing else. Buffer size under audio settings: 128. Display FPS 10. Process priority Above Normal. USB driver buffer and Process priority are set mid range but might be worth a look if you need to. The result is I can reliably work up to 20 WPM with the internal keyer, as well as use a straight key. Out of the box, using default settings, this was not possible. Added bonus: with an external keyer there is no choppiness or dropped characters at all. Make no mistake, my other regular rigs are a TT Jupiter, Argo V, etc. At 100 ms delay it's not full break in and not quite as smooth as those but I've used this rig in events, such as SKCC, and it did the job well.

So for digi and SSB it's a great radio with multiple ways to enhance performance. (i.e. when running PSK set AGC to fixed and you won't have the problem of strong stations blanking out the receiver). For CW work to reduce latency and it's a very useful, if not perfect, machine. Why consider it at all? Digging out small signals with S5-7 noise is what this radio does all day long. I'll take a less-than-perfect but quite usable CW experience to do that.

I am listed on QRZ and will be happy to answer questions if needed.