Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-450D

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

KK5R  Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2018 13:21  Send this review to a friend!
Great Radio...!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Drake TR-7 for several years and think that for its time, it was unbeatable. I went to China in 2003 and left it with my son, also a ham. When I came back, I was disappointed to find he'd sold it a few months previously to upgrade his station. But I left it with him with no strings attached so after looking around on my return in 2007, I opted to buy an FT450AT for $600 from a ham who got it while his other Yaesu was being repaired. It had been used only 10 hours, though, before being put on the shelf for a few months. However, his main rig returned much sooner that he anticipated.

I've had mine for about ten years and find it's much better than the TR-7 was, overall... Once the menu is set up, it is rarely messed with except for output power levels when checking out new antennas. I get great reports with the matching MD-100 microphone which, by the way, is inter-matched with the rig's transmit audio menu settings.

One old complaint was addressed when I got some early-on reports of an audio tone on transmit which I found was due to the brightness setting on the display. The display grounding was not adequate in one area of the display board (near the microphone jack) but instead of taking the radio apart (which was never done!), I found the tone was not there when the display brightness was set to Max or to Off. Therefore, I set it to Mex and adjusted the contrast to lower the brightness. This adjustment is the next step in the manual, in fact, and kept me from getting into the radio and "finding" other problems. {;->

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the radio. In fact, it gives me a lot of free time for antenna experimentation instead of finding fault with the main radio.

My backup rig is an ICOM IC-718, chosen for its simplicity and automatic heterodyne nullification when QRMed. It is rarely used, however, except for SW listening which is seldom done. it is there, however, "just in case." Considering that the FT-450 has never failed me, I sometimes wonder why I even have it.