Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key

You can write your own review of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key.

K9RE  Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2018 19:23  Send this review to a friend!
Give it a chance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This paddle is a "steal" compared to what you would have to pay if you were to buy the "original" from the "big name" company. I already own one of theirs but the price has gone way up and I could not justify spending so much money for a second one on something that is basically a fancy SPDT switch.

It is attractive looking and the base is heavy. It feels like quality for sure. That said, mine was WAY out of adjustment when it arrived. Even though it was well packed and did not show any signs of being dropped or damaged, one paddle was jammed closed while the other one was completely off the bearings and out of alignment. It took me quite some time fiddling with all of the various adjustments to get everything lined up and working properly. I was worried that it would not work, but it does.

As others have pointed out, some of the adjustment screws are very loose and I doubt they will stay in adjustment unless I do something to lock them down. I don't know if thread-locker is the best choice because I may want to change the settings in the future. I may look for a different solution.

They do not include the Allen wrench that is needed for adjustment. This is unfortunate; none of the ones I have in my toolbox appear to fit properly. This is an inexpensive item and it is absolutely needed to set up the key properly. They should certainly have provided one with the unit.

In summary, it is not the "big name" unit but if you are patient, you can get it working correctly. I'm pleased with mine.