Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Orion Help

Show all reviews of the Ten-Tec Orion

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Orion.

KG4FET  Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 09:41  Send this review to a friend!
finally the end of a long search  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Orion first impressions. IT'S HUGE! I have now had this one for a few weeks and at this point I have mostly figured it out. I got rid of a 590SG to get this radio looking for the best receiver. I needed one that could fight the AM broadcaster, did not put anomalies on the RX'ed signal (watery sound on the Kenwood NR irked me to no end), and sounded good on the air. The Orion fits the bill, for the most part. I am an NCS, and casual operator NOT A CONTESTOR but I need a really good receiver. TX audio with the TT709 I have been informed is the best I have ever sounded on the plethora of radios I have had

Can the Orion kill an AM broadcast, mostly, if it is not centered on your RX frequency (see the note on the SAF below). Can I take corntestors out close to me while I call a net YES!

I am used to TT receivers (Jup, Triton IV, Peg, O7, O6, O5) that I can quiet down to no atmo noise, this one will not quite do that. It is not designed to do that and I knew that going in. I can get it pretty quiet though. It is the first rig I have ever owned that the AGC is actually effective. All settings are adjustable even for the SLOW, MED, FAST AGC but the programmable AGC is a really great feature. I can cycle through during a net quickly to pull a weak signal out that no other rig I have had can even hear.

AM: WOW! This is a great AM transmitter. I do a fair bit of AM and this is the best rig (Solid state that is) I have ever run. TX audio using the 709 TT mic, a little H/W mic gain (6db) and a TX BW of 2850-3300 with a low cut of 50hz I have received the best compliments on my audio that I have ever had. This is NOT your rice box low level audio coming out of this rig. I use the same settings on SSB as well but add a little (-7db) on the TX EQ.

A note on the SAF (selective audio filter). READ THE V3 MANUAL! It has made the difference on the 40M nets I call pulling calls out of the AM broadcast noise. It also makes a huge difference in how well the Orion hears AM signals on 75M as well. Play with the settings I have found a narrower center freq helps on SSB.

The one CON is the sweep/bandscope is not adjustable. It's on or off on the 565. Not a big deal for me but for some of you it may be.

All the way around this is by far the best rig I have ever owned AND it's AMERICAN MADE! It's a keeper!