Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC 7100

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

VE3LNU  Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2018 05:03  Send this review to a friend!
Warning - can't handle extreme cold!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a glowing review of this radio about 3 years ago, just after I purchased it. It has been a FABULOUS mobile radio, along with the remote control microphone that you can purchase as an option. Last month, after about 3 years of service, the radio died. I returned to my vehicle after a day's work to find that the display had lit up but with no information showing on the screen, and the radio was still powered off! It would not power on after that. My local dealer inspected the radio and reported that the "sub-CPU" appears to be damaged. They could not fix it. Icom Canada advised me that when there is CPU damage, they just replace the entire board at a cost of approximately $700. Since this is about half the purchase price I paid in Canadian dollars, I will not be fixing this radio. I have lost it after only 3 years of use!

Several of my ham friends are suggesting that the most likely cause of this failure was the extreme cold we experienced this past winter, with temperatures approaching minus 30 C at night. With the rig in the truck all the time, they surmise that the extremely dense surface-mount construction of the IC 7100 simply couldn't take the temperature extremes.

So I am throwing this out there for those of you who live in extremely cold environments: this may not be your best choice for a mobile radio!

Joe VE3LNU