Categories | Microphones | Radio Shack condensor mic element Cat# 2700092 Help

Show all reviews of the Radio Shack condensor mic element Cat# 2700092

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack condensor mic element Cat# 2700092.

N0TLD  Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2018 22:53  Send this review to a friend!
Fantastic, reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very glad N2MDV created this product thread. It's one of those radio gadgets I've used forever that are so ubiquitous I tend to forget them.

And N2MDV is right on the money -- for the price, this element is by far the best-sounding element I've ever used.

But even more than 'by the price', this mic really DOES sound as good as numerous other commercially made mics I've used over the years.

Odds are excellent that you use at least one or two electret elements every day, from phones to computer/laptop mics to Bluetooth and even digital recorders, and many more gadgets. Of course, if you're a ham, you've likely used at least one today -- the stock hand and desk mics made by Icom, for instance, use electret mic elements. Yaesu and Kenwood use it all the time, if not in all their mics, then at least for stock handmics.

And any talking head news people your hear on radio or view on TV, all the news channels, talk shows, and so on, use electret mics in their little wireless lapel mics. They likely use this very element in many cases, but certainly, the elements used in such items are in fact the very same kind of electret elements you can buy for a few bucks at RS or similar.

I've made mic headsets with this element to use with PTT or a footswitch, some for myself and quite a few for others. None of them have reported anything but good comments and praise for clean, loud audio. What's more, I've therefore *heard* my homebrew mics using this element over the air, and can tell you, this is by far one of the best-sounding elements you have ever heard. Odds are you've heard at least one or two on the air over the years, and didn't know the operator *wasn't* using the matching hand mic or a commercial boom mic or headset.

Anytime I inform anyone of the cheap little mic element they tend not to believe it at first. I;m not even joking about that.

At one time I had a Heil ProSet Plus headset, with one of Heil's beautiful elements (they do make good gear), and decided to change from that set to a homebrew set I'd recently made with the RS element, in between TXs.

Most of the ops in the ragchew didn't mention or notice any difference, and in fact a few of them thought I'd changed the XCVR EQ or similar, because it sounded BETTER than it had before.

These used to be a few bucks, and now are around $5. For that price, just experimenting is worth the effort. You can't lose -- either it's at least as good other mics you've used, or it's even better; even if it's average, you have a fine mic that cost you almost nothing.

Once again, I'm glad N2MDV started this one. This little element deserves some praise and respect.