Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

VE3TMT  Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 07:02  Send this review to a friend!
Happy birthday to me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been just over a year since I traded my Yaesu FTDX-1200 for a PROIII. There were some undisclosed problems with the radio, but new parts were obtained from Icom and issues resolved.

In my 28 years as a ham, I have had many different radios in the shack. Worth mentioning, the Kenwood TS-830, TS-870, TS-940, Yaesu FT-990, FT-1000 Mark V, FT-2000 and others. Each of them have their own merits, and I had likes and dislikes for each. Around 2007 I owned the original 756PRO, so the PROIII was not that unfamiliar to me.

I can honestly say, the PROIII is one of the best. I find the receiver just superb and all it's associated controls only enhance it. The transmitter works just fine, full output in all modes, including RTTY, for extended periods of time without issue. I have modified the internal fan to run full time, just enough on receive to keep the radio cooled. I also added a 24VDC fan on the rear to pull the hot air out. Running at 12V it runs half speed, reducing stress on the fan, but still allowing cooling of the radio.

From what I have read, the biggest issue plaguing the PRO series is failure of the LCD display. This is caused by an open inverter coil (now obsolete) or blown transistor in the inverter circuit (still available). So if the inverter coil goes, the radio is basically useless, unless you use Ham Radio Deluxe or some other software to read the frequency.

As I was concerned about this, I decided to be proactive. I started looking at ways to eliminate the need for the HV inverter circuit altogether. I found an ultra thin LED strip that fits inside the LCD panel itself and runs off 12V. It comes with a driver board that can be powered from the back of the display board. The result is a nice bright LCD display that looks like new. You still get some adjustability from the brightness control, although not as much as the original CCFL tube, but perfectly acceptable. I also disable the HV circuit which probably eliminates some receiver noise, not that you hear it in the first place. Now, I never have to worry about the display failing.

Operating the PROIII is pure joy. If you can find one at a good price, grab it, you won't regret it.

I'm more than happy to do this upgrade for others, you can email me for pricing.