Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Comet CHA250B Help

Show all reviews of the Comet CHA250B

You can write your own review of the Comet CHA250B.

W6KMG  Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2018 00:06  Send this review to a friend!
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I acquired the CHA250b some months ago. I was looking for a vertical to mount on a 10' mast bolted to the side of my garage. The mast was already supporting another (wire) antenna, and looked like a great place to mount a vertical.

Not much room for radials, the way things are laid out, and I wanted a fairly light weight antenna. The CHA250b kept popping up in my searches. It seems like the ham community really has a love hate relationship with this antenna. I was a little hesitant that it can only handle 250w, but until i get an amp it shouldnt be an issue, and I dont work digital modes, so overheat shouldnt be a concern.

Assembled in a snap, hoisted the antenna up to the roof and mounted by myself. I placed a CMC 330 1k rfi choke right between the antenna and 50ft of lmr400 to the radio. Found low swr on every band with no tuner. Mast not grounded, no radials, no ground to antenna, only the coax. I have it guyed at only one point, and it recently survived 40+mph winds for a whole day plus.

I get good signal reports 80-10m. Mind you, my 80m contacts are mostly regional, and I only use 10m for local nets due to current band conditions.

On 40 and 20m, Ive made several DX contacts including Venezuela and Suriname, however the old addage "you can work them if you can hear them" does not apply here. A couple times since installing the antenna I could hear a far off station that could not hear me. Perhaps adding some radials would help, I currently have none.

I recently had a chance to attach a Rig Expert AA54 analyzer to my antennas thru their respective 50ft lmr400 feed lines. I found the CHA250b to be right around 2:1swr on 80m, 40 and 20m bands were under 1.2:1swr, and everything from 7 to 54mhz was under 1.5.

Swr sweep across the 80-6m bands was not anywhere near that good on my "no tune" wire antenna.

So ultimately, this is to me, a solid 4 star performer. Sure, its no woopty 5000 super dx death beam, but you already know that. It is a lightweight, low power handling vertical antenna for compromise installations that will enable you to make contacts with your ham radio transceiver.