Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-590SG Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-590SG

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590SG.

NC4RT  Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2018 09:49  Send this review to a friend!
Wonderful, especially for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 590SG for about 3 years now, and have used it quite a bit, so I feel qualified to give my $0.02 worth ;-)

I use it a lot for general qso work, especially on CW, and for QRP foxhunting.. A few contests from the home base, but I'm not a died in the wool contester, so I jump into a contest for an hour or two and then check out the Game of the Week.

Last month, I added an RSP1A and a laptop to give me panadapter functionality. The hookup and setup was pretty simple, and gives good results.

My previous QRO rig was a TS-430S. This 590's receiver is a strong improvement over that one, which is saying something.

Beware, if you are buying your first "new" rig, that you don't mislead yourself into thinking the internal tuner will save you some money. The 590SG does have an internal tuner, but it will not match anything larger than a 3:1 mismatch. It's designed to match this rig to a follow-on tuner, not to the wide-ranging impedances of a multi-band antenna.

Read the other reviews for more in-depth technical info... I'll not repeat it.

I've run a K-2 for many years, and always thought it was an excellent receiver. But guess what? This one is better.

Dollar for dollar, the quality of this receiver (and a host of other creature comforts, such as the DRV antenna output, good Noise Reduction, having both paddle and straight key inputs, easy to use filtering, straightforward CAT control and free software, etc etc) makes it a fantastic value.

It's also holding its resale value pretty well. You lose a bit as soon as you convert it from "new" to "used" but after that the value has held up for the 3 years I've been watching it.

Good luck and may the Prop Princess smile on you.

72/73 de NC4RT