Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MFJ-1786 Super Hi-Q Loop Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-1786 Super Hi-Q Loop

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1786 Super Hi-Q Loop.

AE5YJ  Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2018 09:17  Send this review to a friend!
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up used at hamfest for 150.00 and thought that I would give it a shot. Always have been curious about these loops and at that price I could not say no. I have read all of these reviews over and over on this unit, and didn't want pay full price on a chance of getting a bad unit. I installed it vertical, on a 4' pole in the yard facing south approx. 8' from the house for testing. Couldn't get it to tune, changed out coax and it worked after that. They ain't kidding, tuning is touchy. I finally got the hang of it, but it is a learned art. Null passes like lightening, so getting it right takes a bit of practice. Anyway, at 4' ground mounted facing south in vertical config, snagged japan 20 meters at 6136 miles away on 40 watts. It works beautifully and I was surprised given it's temporary installation compromise that it performed so well. It is fun to play around with and makes a good secondary option or primary in antenna restricted environment. It does very well and I am happy. Only reason I am giving a 4 is the constant retuning repetitive retuning process, but not a fault of the manufacturer, but magloop design. Comes with the territory.