Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-706 - All flavors Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-706 - All flavors.

W1MJ  Rating: 2/5 Apr 2, 2005 14:01  Send this review to a friend!
IC-706MKIIG Transmit Problems on 15M & 17M  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall, you get a lot of radio of a reasonable price. However, I have 3 complaints:
(1) Difficult to operate, e.g. having to search through menus to find the wide/narrow filter switch.
(2) Reciever overloads easily during CW contests, even with my low dipole antenna.
(3) Transmitter doesn't work correctly on 15M & 17M, except into certain loads. Cannot reliably be used with an antenna tuner.

I haven't seen this 15M/17M transmit problem in other reviews, but have 2 friends with the same problem, and have heard of a couple others. When the transmitter acts up, it changes frequencies, as observed with a separate receiver (I haven't found out to where yet). I confirmed with a borrowed Electraft K2 transceiver that my antenna can be tuned for 1:1 SWR with either of my tuners. The '706 behaved on 21.025 after the tuner was adjusted with the K2, but not on 21.250. Icom says they are unaware of this problem, and do not appear to be very intersted or sympathetic despite my report of several units having this problem. If anyone else has this problem, please let me know (w1mj@arrl.net) - Thanks.