Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool Help

Show all reviews of the West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool.

AH6RH  Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 16:04  Send this review to a friend!
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having recommended the use of the Anderson Powerpoles as the universal power connector for the ARRL Emergency Communications Course (ARECC), I've been working with various products and methods over the years that use the Powerpoles.

I used to solder the connectors, but got inconsistent results. I used the Gardner Bender GB-88 crimp tool and also got inconsistent results.

One could also shell out over $100 for the Sargent crimp tool. Does a beautiful job, but kinda pricey.

Then, I saw the West Mountain PWRcrimp tool at Dayton 2004. For the price, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I took it home, tried it, and fell in love with it. I'll never solder another Powerpole connector and haven't touched the Gardner Bender tool since.

Since then, a number of us in Hawaii have picked up the tool and make it available at ham club gatherings so that others can fashion their power connectors. We also use them to mass produce fly-away radio kits complete with radio, tuner, power supply, coax and antennas. With a good pair of wire strippers (or diagonal wire cutters) and the PWRcrimp, you can crank out power cords in no time. That reminds me -- I gotta pick up one for the EOC.

If you're going to be making power cords with Powerpole connectors, you'ld be crazy not to get one of these.