Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-28A/H Help

Show all reviews of the Icom IC-28A/H

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-28A/H.

AH6RH  Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2007 11:26  Send this review to a friend!
Built like a tank - bullet-proof RF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I echo the sentiments of the other reviewers. Simple, straight forward radio. Puts out 5 and 50 watts on 2m. A great receiver that's a charm -- it blocks out intermod and is super sensitive. No blips and bleeps.

The reason why I'll never part with mines is during Hurricane Iniki on Sept 11 1992, I brought in my IC-28H to operate the packet radio position at Hawaii State Civil Defense. Unknownst to me, the person doing the operating ramped up the transmit power to 50 watts, and ran 50 percent duty cycle packet radio for over 27 hours!

It may not have been exactly 50% duty cycle, but after 27 hours of operating time, I was getting reports that the packet radio position was failing. I checked the radio, and it was super red hot. You could fry eggs on the radio! I burned my fingers bad. I immediately turned off the power supply feeding the radio. I was glad it has a real heat sink and none of this bogus fan stuff but sadly wondered if my next move would be tossing the rig into the trash can.

I waited about two hours for it to cool down before I could touch the rig and take it home. I checked it out, and it performed superbly! No sign of the BRUTAL punishment it endured. Unstoppable!

I have a second unit. I tried using it for accessing packet satellites, but the PLL TX to RX turnaround was too slow to match the ultra-fast crystal transceiver onboard the satellite. It's the only shortcoming I've discovered.

I wish rig manufacturers built such rock solid rigs, that I could deploy to other EOCs. We had several bought and deployed and could use more of the same solid reliability. I evaluate radios before I recommend them for use in the field, and am could use more "tanks".

Ron Hashiro, AH6RH