Categories | Ham radio kits | Hagerty Radio Company Direct Digital VFO Help

Show all reviews of the Hagerty Radio Company Direct Digital VFO

You can write your own review of the Hagerty Radio Company Direct Digital VFO.

WN5Y  Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 16:17  Send this review to a friend!
Best DDS kit available  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have built several DDS VFOs. When I saw Hagerty's article in QEX, I was very impressed. Very clean output (as shown by the pic of the SA scan), no SMT parts to mount, and incredible support from Jim. The kit is very easy to put together and worked first time for me, which is unusual (I can mess up the simplest of kits). I had a receiver with two offsets that I wanted to switch on the fly. Jim made the necessary changes in a very short time and sent me a new processor with no charge. The switches are intuitive to use and I found it very easy to learn and remember even when away from the DDS for a while. You save $50 with this kit from not having to mount any SMT parts (sending it away, paying labor and shipping). I have trouble with surface mount parts and have no desire to solder any DDS chip. So I figured the real cost of this kit at only $100. Considering the quality of the DDS VFO, it is a bargain. Jim uses a 4 layer board (manufacturers recommendation, everyone else uses 2 layer boards) that results in a very clean and reliable DDS. I highly recommend this kit. Order it, spend an afternoon putting it together, connect to your favorite rig, and start working the DX! I did, and couldn't be happier.