Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | W6ELProp Help

Show all reviews of the W6ELProp

You can write your own review of the W6ELProp.

G8JNJ  Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2009 02:20  Send this review to a friend!
Badly needs updating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought I’d try this software after spotting it in the reviews section.

Took a few minutes to configure, the user interface is not particularly intuitive as it doesn’t follow many Windows conventions in terms of look and feel.

I found navigating between screens annoying as you seem to have to hit a ‘close’ button every time. Some of the data entry screens were confusing, and the functionality is a bit strange in some areas.

For example, I think it would have been useful to be able to scroll the time line on some of the charts rather than having to enter times and dates. This would facilitate animation of changes in MUF. It would also be nice to be able to customise the colour schemes.

I wasn’t able to enter a QRA locator and when looking for help found this.

‘It is recommended that you not enter a prefix having the format of an IARU Locator (two letters followed by two numeric digits and an optional two additional letters). If you do, you will not be able to use this entry as a Locator’

Unfortunately I don’t know what this means ? I also suspect that the labelling used on the locator field doesn’t help clarify the situation either.

It also took a bit of digging around to find out what the Signal level and S/N ratios were referenced against turns out its 100 Watt TX power and dipoles at each end.

I spent about ½ hour in total making a few predictions and compared them against some of my recent WSPR spots. The results were reasonably encouraging, but by the end of the ½ hour period I was becoming increasing frustrated and fatigued by the user interface.

I found myself saying ‘if only it would’ or ‘why is it being done that way’ many times whilst trying to get sensible answers from the programme.

The programme produces valid data but I found it a painful process, and although I’ll give it a bit more time to adjust to its quirks I suspect it will be uninstalled in a few weeks time.