Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | FlexRadio FLEX-5000 Help

Show all reviews of the FlexRadio FLEX-5000

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-5000.

K9IUQ  Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2010 14:02  Send this review to a friend!
A Different Perspective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I researched new Radios for 4 months. The K-3, Icom 7600 and Flex 5000a were on my short list. I joined the reflectors and read as much as I could find about all 3 radios. I had many private emails discussing the merits of the K-3, a radio I was particularly interested in.

I was using a Pro III at the time. The Pro III was a very good radio.

After 50 years of hamming and countless radios I was bored. I wanted something different, but most of all I wanted better performance than what I already had - very hard to do in the under $4000 range.

The 7600 was scratched off my list. Not a real performance boost over the Pro III. The Elecraft K-3 was scratched off the list for several reasons. I really disliked most K-3 owners that I ran into. Most have a real ego problem. Many are VERY nasty if you ask tough questions that put the K-3 in a bad light. But mostly I decided the K-3 is just more of the same. Same old knobbed radio that I been using for 50 years.

The clincher - Flexradio offers a 30 day money back guarantee - Elecraft does not. Just this fact alone is VERY attractive reason to try a Flexradio.

So I bought a Flex 5000a. 35 days ago. I did not send the Flex back and get a refund. THAT should speak loudly to anyone contemplating a purchase of a Flex.

I will not repeat all the advantages of the Flex radios. Others have already done that here and elsewhere. This says it all for me:

Using the Flex 5000a has been the most fun I have had in 50 years of hamming......

Stan K9IUQ